Remember when I told you I got a fab new pair of boots this fall? Well I did. And they’re every bit as fabulous as you might imagine them to be. Love. Love. Love.
Rhett, being heterosexual, chose not to indulge himself this fall with fashion but rather with a brand new TV for the den. I think he expected me to balk at the idea of buying *another* TV for the house, given the fact that we had- wait, I’m counting- SIX at the bungalow, but the only TV in this house is in our bedroom. Normally, that wouldn’t be an issue, but I’m not a TV watcher (okay, except for Mad Men, American Pickers, and the occasional Real Housewives cat fight) and I go to bed at 9pm…so Rhett was basically without his daily dose of Hometime and Holmes on Homes. Knowing I wanted to keep my marriage happy, I said “Sure, go get a nice TV for the den.”
And he came home with a 52” behemoth. We can now see the pores on Mike Rowe’s face.
Anyways, his big idea was to mount the TV above the fireplace. Our den, now that we knocked out a wall, is basically half of a huge room that is kitchen, breakfast area, and den combined. With a TV the size of Kansas, we don’t have to miss a minute of Jersey Housewives (no she didn’t!) when one of us wants to go into the kitchen for ice cream. Theoretically, a giant TV is a great idea.
Mounting it is…another thing.
In order to mount the TV, Rhett first spent the better part of a Sunday afternoon removing a brick from the fireplace. As a mother of two, there’s a certain part of me that cringes as I sit outside on the deck and peer through the glass at my husband as he hacks apart our chimney. I don’t like to see my house being demolished as I hear, “Calm down, I’m not doing this to the foundation!” Rhett told me that he “thought” there was a cavity behind the first row of bricks through which he could run cable and electricity. Fortunately, he was right.
From the attic, Rhett was able to run both cable and electricity and create the outlets you see in the above picture. Next he installed a TV mount and, with the help of his trusty assistant (cough, cough), the TV was lifted onto the mount.
We have yet to determine whether lighting a fire in the fireplace will have any effect on the TV, but I assume Rhett’s position on this matter is to cross that bridge when we get there. Don’t be surprised if we invest in a DVD of a crackling fire and entertain with the ambiance of a cozy fire up on the big screen. Kidding. Rhett, I’m sure, will rig a way to make the fireplace and TV live together in harmony, and that will have to be another blog entry.
To his credit, the TV is a great size for the wall. With chocolate brown brick, the TV even blends in a bit and isn’t near as obtrusive as I thought it would be. I wouldn’t say we watch more TV, but when we do want to watch a show it’s a bit like going to the movies (pass the popcorn). Rhett loves his new toy, and I love that it is no longer sitting in the middle of the den. My only worry is that I am now spoiled and can barely discern the characters on the teeny TV in our bedroom (“Is that Will or Grace?”).
I’m thankful Rhett chose an indulgence that’s beneficial to the whole family. Unfortunately, I’m the only one who benefits from a pair of size 7.5 boots, but I do believe that they make me a better wife and mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment